First impressions of your home do count! You do it all the time when you visit a friend or drive past a neighbour’s home. The entrance to a home is the first impression so make yours stand out with a healthy lawn and a few other focal points for that great first impression. In South Africa the pavement is supposed to be the responsibility of the municipality; however that should not stop you having a lovely lawn that you personally care for. A striking entrance is a mixture of design, practicability and space availability but if created right will produce some striking results. Most of our entrances come with a hefty wall before we enter the property, so use the space wisely and add that touch of green lawn with fabulous plants along the wall border. Grass does go dormant in the cold winter seasons so adding some green foliage or plants alongside the border will make sure your entrance remains impressionable throughout the year.
Before you design you’re outside lawn space, take the following points into consideration:
- Drive around your neighbourhood and get some ideas. Have you ever noticed that the entrances to community developments are always well thought out and inviting.
- Make sure you use indigenous lawn coverage for your green space as this will have a longer lasting season.
- Plan the space before you start planting and creating borders, things change and plants do grow.
- Consider using a border for your entrance lawn. There are many types of border available but if you find those too expensive find old bricks or come up with something creative and lay them on your lawn border edge. This will prevent the beds from getting larger and encroaching on your lawn.
- Use plants that are evergreen for your garden, as the grass goes dormant in winter, the focal point to your entrance will change from the lawn to your plants.
- Use an irrigation system to water your lawn and garden to be water wise and safety.
Neglecting your pavement can make your home look unkept and unappealing. Have fun with your outside space, as they say First Impressions are everything and you will enjoy coming home to a lovely outside entrance